GamerGrounds Forums
Raiding option - Surrendering - Printable Version

+- GamerGrounds Forums (http://forums.gamergrounds.com)
+-- Forum: ARK: Survival Evolved (http://forums.gamergrounds.com/http://forums.gamergrounds.com/forum/gamergrounds/)
+--- Forum: General (http://forums.gamergrounds.com/http://forums.gamergrounds.com/forum/?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Raiding option - Surrendering (/http://forums.gamergrounds.com/showthread.php?tid=356)

Raiding option - Surrendering - Sly - 01-15-2016

Declaring a raid only benefits larger tribes. Instead, a surrender option would be more appropriate. It gives the raiding tribe the satisfaction of having won, and the raided tribe a chance to regroup.

There are a couple of ways this could be done, with details being adjusted.

-- A public declaration of surrendering in global chat.
-- Changing a tribe name to include the word surrender to indicate that tribe is under protection.
-- A removal of surrender protection if a tribe violates the rules of surrender

The time of protection, and type of protection should be discussed.

It could be 24 hours -> a week against a specific tribe, or it could be global protection. It would need to be arbitrated by an admin.

Care would also need to be taken that it was not used to prevent a raid, IE, giving up before the raid even happened. Raiding could be defined as a period from the start of the raid, like 4 hours, or 24 hours, or whatever. However, I still don't think you should have to declare a raid.

--Sly

RE: Raiding option - Surrendering - Vance - 01-15-2016

Do you mean like surrending before the raid is over to keep the defending tribe from losing their stuff? If that's the case, I don't think it would work with anyone from this community. What's the point of raiding if you can't take their stuff?

If by surrender, you mean like a cooldown after defeat, then why not just call it a raiding cooldown?

RE: Raiding option - Surrendering - Sly - 01-15-2016

I believe you should be able to take their stuff. And kill their dinos. And keep doing it if they don't surrender, IE, stick to the mechanics of the game as closely as possible. If it were up to me, I'd have zero rules involved with raiding. But then again I don't grief new players, and I've seen it from their perspective.

A compromise could be that those being attacked can't surrender for four hours after the raid beginning, or some time period that people like.

EDIT:

Also, there is a huge difference in putting the onus on the person being attacked to actually surrender. Too many times I've seen people whine about raid protection but then act like nothing hurt them during the raid, or quibbling about what constitutes a raid. Let's be honest, the people being attacked are asking for extra help beyond how the game was designed - they should pay the price for their protection - having to publicly surrender.

RE: Raiding option - Surrendering - Vance - 01-15-2016

(01-15-2016, 11:25 PM)Sly Wrote: I believe you should be able to take their stuff. And kill their dinos. And keep doing it if they don't surrender, IE, stick to the mechanics of the game as closely as possible. If it were up to me, I'd have zero rules involved with raiding. But then again I don't grief new players, and I've seen it from their perspective.

A compromise could be that those being attacked can't surrender for four hours after the raid beginning, or some time period that people like.

EDIT:

Also, there is a huge difference in putting the onus on the person being attacked to actually surrender. Too many times I've seen people whine about raid protection but then act like nothing hurt them during the raid, or quibbling about what constitutes a raid. Let's be honest, the people being attacked are asking for extra help beyond how the game was designed - they should pay the price for their protection - having to publicly surrender.

Well the point of adding a new "ruleset/sytem" to the server is to maintain a higher server population. Surrendering, to me, just seems counter-intuitive to both the point of a new system and raiding itself.

RE: Raiding option - Surrendering - Sly - 01-15-2016

Another option would be to give the raiding side 4 hours from the time of surrender before they have to back off. This would give them the chance to do their business. Part of the difficulty is that there's a difference between raiding a stone house on the beach, and a mega base on a mountain. This makes it so that any rules are likely to be contested on minutiae - thus the simpler the better.

The difference is that you want raid protection to automatically kick in, which is way harder to maintain and police. A tribe with the tag [Surrendered] in their name will make it obvious to anyone that they're under protection. A surrendered tribe is in a much clearer state than someone who is under "raid protection" which could mean anything. Are the people under raid protection not allowed to raid anyone? Are they allowed to break the protection to fight back?

I'd never utilize such an option, and didn't complain when all our dinos were killed last wipe. We built a better base that was better protected and then came back and beat our opponents. That's how the game should be played - but if tribes need protection to get started/established then give them the option - but it shouldn't be without a price.

RE: Raiding option - Surrendering - Andraste - 01-16-2016

I believe this idea would heavily favor large tribes when raiding small tribes. No large tribe is going to surrender in the middle of being raided and hand over everything. Large tribes despawn items during a raid before they would let an enemy tribe take them.

RE: Raiding option - Surrendering - Sly - 01-16-2016

No one is forced to surrender, that's the point. Surrendering is asking for protection. I personally hope that no one needs to surrender (except my enemies!), but provides an avenue for newer tribes or players to at least get protection from someone that's raiding them day after day.